June the 5th is World Environment Day! How will you be celebrating our beautiful planet and helping to preserve its natural resources?
At Rawlicious, we believe in the magic of ‘superfoodism’. There are delicious foods out there, which you only need a little of, in order to get a whole lot of nutrition. Superfoods make this possible – not only are they Earth’s gifts to us, but they are the perfect tools to ensure the flourishing of both nature and mankind, forming a perfect symbiotic relationship.
How great is it that we don’t need big bucks, complex schemes, big machines or daunting efforts to minimise our carbon footprint? What if we can preserve Earth with a single-celled organism? A spiral-shaped, blue-green algae, which concentrates the great energy of the sun, and which, billions of years ago, created the ideal conditions for all life to originate? Meet Spirulina: the ancient superfood, which gave us life, which created oxygen, so that we could breathe.
Spirulina is rich in:
- Protein: it is a complete protein source containing 18 amino acids;
- Vitamins: B1, 2, 6 &12;
- Antioxidants: beta-carotene (Vitamin A), zeazanthin and phycocyanin (a powerful blue-pigment, which induces the production of stem cells in bone marrow);
- Detoxifiers: chlorophyll (the ‘builder of blood’);
- Enzymes: the metabolic enzyme superoxide dismutase;
- Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA): great for reducing allergies and inflammatory conditions;
- Sulfur: a great beauty substance for skin, nails and hair.
Why is it a solution to the problems we face today?
- Its protein is more digestible by the human body than the protein from beef;
- It is a cleaner, purer source of food: no pesticides or chemicals are involved – eating lower on the food chain preserves the health of our cells, and also the health of our planet;
- It is has a high resistance to heat, meaning it can be grown and consumed in the harshest conditions on Earth;
- Communities across the planet can easily be taught how to grow and consume their own sources of spirulina.
In the 1970’s, The United Nations hailed spirulina as one of the solutions to global malnutrition and poverty. It is a nutrient-rich, complete-protein superfood and a source of income for numerous communities, which grow and consume their own sources of spirulina.
In the 16th century, the Aztec civilisation relied on this miraculous algae to fuel their muscles before and during great battles. They often combined spirulina with cacao and chia seeds for an over-all super-boost.
Here is a fun & easy recipe inspired by the Aztec warrior-code:
5 tbsp organic coconut oil or cacao butter
½ cup raw cacao powder
1-2 tbsp spirulina
1-2 tbsp raw honey or agave
1 pinch Himalayan rock salt
Directions: Melt the coconut oil or cacao butter using the double-boiler system. Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor. Roll into balls with your hands. Place in the fridge to set. Optional: sprinkle or roll in chia seeds or hempseeds (two other earth-saving superfoods).
The spiral structure of spirulina is said to represent revolution, connectivity and union. Therefore, in many ancient cultures, the consumption of spirulina was believed to create a deeper connection with the earth. Keep a watch out for our special Spirulina & Goji banded packs; a great opportunity to reconnect with the earth and to build up that Stress Defense Shield for the oncoming winter months!
Happy Earth-Loving Day!